• PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img
  • PT img


Have questions about the Practical Training USA program? We have answers! 

Most of the common questions we get regarding the program are answered below. Browse through the list of the questions in the categories below. Of course, if your question hasn't been answered, don't hesitate to contact your nearest office.

All of CCUSA's Practical Trainees can only be sponsored in the following categories: Management, Business, Finance or Commerce. We cannot sponsor trainees in any other categories and cannot accept any application that does not clearly fit into one of these categories. Your education and work experience should support the training program being offered as well as your long-term career goals. You also must have a degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary academic institution outside the US in the same or a related field as the training plus at least one year work experience in this field outside the US OR five years work experience in your occupational field outside the US The following categories would definitely not be accepted: law, arts, theatre, media, architecture, design, interior design, fashion, IT/computer studies and constructions/engineering. (Please also see eligibility requirements on the PTUSA program page.)
A training program will clearly involve learning and training of a formal nature. This must be ongoing and closely supervised as well as demonstrating the achievement of specific goals that will be evaluated periodically by CCUSA. This program is NOT a work program. The employer offering you a training program has to clearly define the methods of training.
The CCUSA Practical Training program is for a maximum of 18 months but all of this time must be fully justified as necessary to achieving the goals set out in your employer's proposed training program. CCUSA reserves the right to limit the training program to a suitable amount of time to match the goals outlined. Conversely, the program should be no less than 6 months.
All prospective trainees must be from a country that has a CCUSA office or representative. When applying for the independent self-placement option, you should give us the name, address and all contact information about your employer with your application. Our Company Headquarters in the USA will contact your employer and forward the necessary application forms and training program guidelines.
For the Independent Self-Placement option, a minimum of 8 weeks should be allowed from the time a COMPLETED application is submitted to the proposed start date of the training program. However, please note that there can be delays on the Employer side while they are developing a training plan that meets the necessary requirements. A complete application consists of the following:

Trainee documents:

  • Trainee application
  • Training program agreement (signed)
  • 2 PTUSA references - cannot be from the employer offering the training program
  • Once accepted and the training plan is approved, you will be required to sign the DS 7002 Form.
  • Payment of program fees

Employer documents:

  • Employer application
  • Training program
  • Signed Letter of Agreement from host organization (employer)
  • Employment Agreement and DS 7002 Form signed by employer and trainee
The program fee is due at the time you submit your application. Upon acceptance to the program, the insurance payment is due (mandatory). You will be required to prepay insurance for the number of months you will be on the training program. In addition, there is a SEVIS fee (exchange visitor tracking system) and the US Embassy will charge a fee to process your visa. Your local CCUSA office can confirm this cost. All travel costs are the responsibility of the trainee. Fees cover the application process, guidance during the development and approval of the training plan, assistance with visa processing including issuing your visa form (DS2019), insurance, pre-departure support as well as support while in the USA, and materials (handbook, social security sponsorship letter, evaluations and certificate of completion).
You will need to have 2 PTUSA reference questionnaires filled out using the forms provided. These references should be from a person who has known you in a professional capacity (i.e. past employer, teacher).
No, you can only work in the capacity of your approved training program. Your visa is linked to the training program that was approved and to the Employer that is offering the approved training program.
No, your visa is tied to the training plan that was originally approved by CCUSA. If you are let go or leave voluntarily, you are not allowed to pursue a training plan anywhere else and must notify CCUSA immediately to confirm your arrangements to leave the country.
If you have a multiple entry visa, you are allowed to travel outside the U.S., however, prior to your departure, you must send your DS 2019 Form to the CCUSA Headquarters to sign your form and validate your travel plans, verifying that you are still in good standing with the program. This must be done each time you plan on travelling outside the U.S.
The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee for the J1 Practical Training Visa is a separate fee that the US Government imposes on cultural exchange agencies for each J1 sponsorship form to be processed. This is not part of your PUTSA application fee and must be paid by the trainee after obtaining their DS 2019 Form and prior to their US Embassy interview (you are required to bring receipt of payment with you to your interview). Directions on how to do this will be provided at the appropriate time.
No, ALL participants must return to their home country and apply for the trainee program. There are NO exceptions to this requirement.
Trainees are eligible for additional training programs after a period of at least two years residency outside the United States following their initial training plan.
There are several resources you can check out to find a traineeship in the USA. Some of them are listed on this website.

Additional Resources


  • Peterson's Internships
  • The Best 106 Internships by Mark Oldham
  • The Wet Feet Insider Guide to Getting Your Ideal Internship